By; Lisa Vanderpump
This is one of my favorite salads and has quickly become a weekly staple! Light, crunchy and flavorful, the salad is delicious on its own – but throw in a lightly seared blackened Ahi Tuna steak and it becomes a fabulous dish for entertaining or a simple weekday dinner…. and, it literally takes 10 minutes or less! Enjoy!
2 Ahi tuna steaks (4-6oz each)
6 handfuls mixed greens
1 cucumber, sliced into chunks
15-20 mandarin slices
2 handfuls cherry tomatoes, sliced
1 red onion, sliced
1 fennel bulb, white part sliced, green part discarded
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp lemon juice
¼ cup balsamic
Pinch salt and pepper
Use blackening seasoning or mix together 1 tsp each of: paprika, garlic powder, dried thyme, pepper, salt, dried oregano, dried basil
For the Tuna:
1. Season your tuna steaks liberally with the blackening seasoning.
2. Coat a pan with olive oil and set over a high heat.
3. When steaming hot, sauté the tuna quickly, about 30-40 seconds a side, until still rare, but crunchy on the outside. Remove and let sit.
4. Slice (cutting with the grain of the tuna) and serve over or alongside the salad.
For the Salad:
1. Toss the mixed greens with the cucumber, onion, fennel, tomatoes and mandarins (reserve a few of each for garnish).
2. Toss in the dressing and then top with the Ahi tuna slices.
3. Garnish with the remaining ingredients.